The important differences between Living and Non-living substances are as follows:
- A living being has a definite shape and size but a non-living substances has no definite shape and size.
- The body of a living being is composed of cells in which living meterial named protoplasm exists,
where as cell and protoplasm does not exist in nonliving substances.
- Living being show movement or locomotion but non-living has not its own movement or locomotion.
- Nutrition is for living beings whereas non-living substances need non nutrition.
- Living beings essentially need respiration but non-living has no respiration.
- Living being has irritation or sensation but this is not in non-living substances.
- Metabolism is the main feature of living beings but it is lacking in non-living substances.
- A living being has power of reproduction but the non-livings do not.
- Living beings has definite life but non-living has no-definite life.
- Living beings have life cycle but non-living substances have no life cycle.
- Every living beings grows but a non-living beings doesn't grow.
- Living beings take food from which they gain energy for life but nonliving beings do not take any food.
- Living beings excrete waste materials from their body whereas nonliving substances do not.
- Every living beings has a definite organ but a non-living being has no definite organ.