The keyboard has 5 different types of keys :—
(1) Alphabet Keys — A Keyboard has 26 alphabet keys from A to Z. We can type any text or word with the help of these Keys.
(2) Numeric Keys — These keys are used for typing numbers. They are also called number keys. They are marked with digit 0 to 9.
(3) Function Keys — These keys are placed on the top of the Keyboard. They are marked 'F1' to 'F12' and are twelve in numbers.
(4) Cursor Control Keys — These keys are used for moving the cursor in the text that has already been entered on the monitor. They are also called arrow keys.
(5) Special Keys — Some of the special keys present on a Keyboard are :—
(i) Caps Lock Key — This key is used to type the letters of the alphabet in capital letter or small letter. This key is placed on the left side of the Keyboard.
(ii) Num Lock Key — This is a short from for numeric lock or number lock. This key is used to enable and disable the numeric keypad. This key is placed on the right side of the Keyboard in the numeric keypad.
(iii) Shift Key — This key is used in combination with other keys. So this is also called combination key. There are two shift keys on Keyboard. This key allows a user to type characters, either upper or lower case, and number to symbol.
(iv) Enter Key — This key is also known as return key. This is typically to finish an entry and begin the desired process, and is usually, an alternative to pressing an OK button. We put informations into the computer by pressing Enter Key.
(v) Space Bar Key — This is the longest key on the Keyboard. It is used to insert blank space between two words or anywhere in the text where needed.
(vi) Tab Key — Tab Key is abbreviation of tabulator key. It is used to advance cursor to the next tab stop.
(vii) Escape Key (Esc) — It is a powerful key placed on a keyboard that allows a user to cancel or abort operations, which he is executing at present and lets exit a program when pressed. Such as slide-show in power point, opening animation on web page is stopped by using this key.
(viii) Back Space Key — This key is used to erase anything typed on the left side of the cursor.
(ix) Delete Key — This key is used to erase selected word, line, image, page and file etc.
(x) Control Key (Ctrl) ― This key is used in combination with other keys. When it is pressed in combination with another key, it performs a special operation.
(xi) Pause Key — This key is commonly placed near the top right of a Keyboard. The pause key is commonly used to temporarily stop the game.
(xii) Modifire Key — Alt, Ctrl and Shift keys on the Keyboard, that are only used in combination with another key, are modifier keys.