Ribosome : These are the small organelles composed of RNA-rich cytoplasmic granules.
- It is the site of protein synthesis. it is of two types which is given below ;
i. Rough Endoplasmic Reticulum (RER) : It is a vast system of interconnected, membranous, infolded and convoluted sacks, that are located in the cytoplasm.
- RER contains ribosomes, which gives it a rough appearance.
- It transports materials through the cell and helps in protein synthesis.
ii. Smooth Endoplasmic Reticulum (SER) : It is a vast system of inconnected, membranous, infolded tubes, which are located in the cytoplasm.
- The space within the SER is called the SER lumen.
- It transports materials through the cell and contains enzymes that produce and digest lipids (fats) and membrane proteins.
- SER and RER and transports the newly-made protein and lipids to the the Golgi body.