Displacement : The change in the position of moving body in a particular direction is called its displacement.
The shortest distance (straight distance) between the initial and the final position of a moving body is called its displacement.
- Displacement is generally denoted by d or x.
Unit of Displacement : Displacement can be expressed in any suitable unit of length, e.g., centimetre, meter, kilometre, etc.
- The SI unit of displacement is meter (m).
- In CGS system, the unit of displacement is centimetre.
Characteristics of displacement : The displacement of a body has the following characteristics;
- Displacement is a vector quantity. So, displacement has magnitude as well as direction.
- The displacement of a body is for a certain interval of time.
- The displacement of a body may have a positive, zero or a negative value.